Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I got 3 recurrent urinary tract infections in one year ... I…

Customer Question
Hello , I got...

Hello , I got 3 recurrent urinary tract infections in one year ... I was on different antibiotics ciprofloxacin, trimethoprim sulfa,Nitrofurantoin(recent one) ... last month when i got uti again i went to doctor and doctor gave me antibiotics i took for 10 days and symptoms were totally gone... but the day i stopped taking antibiotics i got burning pain back again in my stomach... I thought my uti is not recovered so i went back to doctor but they didnot find any bacteria into my urine ...now after 4 weeks also my some symptoms are same... i have difficulty in starting urine stream ... it takes 30-40 seconds to start urine stream and during that time ... i feel burning pain in my bladder ... I drink alot of water but still its not going ...i am so hopeless coz every time i go to doctor they dont find anything

Doctor's Assistant: Have they used the antibiotics or anything similar before?

I used antibiotics as I mentioned

Doctor's Assistant: Have they used anything besides the antibiotics for this?

No they dont

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in their medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had h.plylori 2 months before still on antacid...finished antibiotics for h.pylori

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Urology
3/14/2018
Urologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist replied 5 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Ok tx
Sorry by mistake wrote burning in my stomach i had to write burning in my bladder

You are very welcome.

Following approach for the chronic / recurrent urinary tract infection may be helpful;

1) An estimation of residual urine. This is done by an ultrasound examination. An ultrasound is done with full bladder. Then you are asked to void and ultrasound is repeated. If there is a residual urine amount more than 50 ml; that is considered as significant amount. An high residual urine in bladder will not let the UTI eradicated. In a high residual urine following investigations would be done;

a) CMG (cystometrography); this tells about the bladder muscle and sphincter functions. A problem in these would not let the bladder empty properly and thus the recurrent UTI.

b) Pelvic floor EMG; tells about the pelvic muscle dysfunctions and help in above.

These will need medications to improve bladder emptying.

2) Medications which alter urinary pH helps in eradicating the recurrent or chronic UTI with the antibiotics.

3) Culture for the mycobacterium; this if grown will need different kind of medication regime specifically for the mycobacterium bacteria which do not respond to the antibiotics.

4) Gynecological examination; to see for the major cystocele (bladder prolapse). This also predisposes for the recurrent UTI.

5) If above do no help the other investigation contemplated are;

a) Cystoscopy; camera exam to look for bladder diverticulum or any other abnormality.

b) MR urography (magnetic resonance urography to look for infective nidus elsewhere in the urinary tract).

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.