Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a history of high grade bladder cancer. I am

I have a history...

I have a history of high grade bladder cancer. I am frequently urinating and my pH is around 9-10 and I have burning. I have found that the pH is high during the day when moving around. The first thing in the morning it is low and no burning but there is still the urgency to urinate. Could this urgency of urinating be due to the cancer or the high pH? Please can you advise. Thanks

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I do have a cyst in the left kidney which has been there for a long time. I am vegan and practice good health, don't smoke or drink alcohol. Had a 4 inch invasive tumor removed in 2014. Went for a CT scan Jan 2018 and another tumor has started up. It is 11x7x9mm which is in the lower anterior of the bladder.

3/14/2018
Ross
Ross, Urologist

hello Dr Ross IM a urologist I will try to help

the urgency is more due to the cancer and its irritation, AS a vegan you really need to push the water because most of the water gets taken up by your bowels so you do not have the fluid to the kidneys. urine should be yellow in am clear by 3 pm

generally a higher ph is less irritating to the bladder

the sooner you get the tumor out the better

i hope this helped if you are smoking stop that increases the risk or recurrences

Ross
Ross, Urologist
Thanks for your response Ross I will take on board what you are saying. I am reticent to have the tumor surgically removed as I have researched the ricks of reinfecting other parts of the bladder,this is what happened the first time. So I have opted to have herbal treatment which I am waiting to see how effective it is. I am drinking about 1 1/2 to 2 liters of water a day. Thanks again

the problem is herbal are possibly good but can not help the bulk of tumor that should be removed first, i have to say infections are not common with TURBT in my 30 yrs so it is not the norm, just don't delay what is the gold standard, thank you for the rating

It seems the burning is related to the high pH as I mentioned in my initial statement the ph is low in the mornings and there is no burning but around lunch time it is high and I have burning. I have had a liver, pancreas and kidney check up and the only thing that was found was a high potassium lever it was 6.1 the range is 3.5 - 5.2. Could the Cancer be responsible for generating the high pH?

u​nlikely totally controlled by diet at this point acidic food actually raise urine ph

lemonade tomato's raise urine ph, you body buffers and raises ph

p​potassium known to irritate the bladder, so watch those herbals