Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Just wondering about penile sensitivity. I have sex with my…

Just wondering about penile...

Just wondering about penile sensitivity. I have sex with my gf 1 to 2 times a week, and it can be difficult to get enough stimulation to keep hard. I’ve tried reducing masturbation and that helps, but still it doesn’t feel as good as it should. I also noticed my glans is a little wrinkly, and doesn’t get as hard as it used to. I’m 54 btw and regularly use ED medications. Wondering what I can do to increase glans sensitivity. Should I moisturize after the shower? Put ointment on it? Thanks.

Doctor's Assistant: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?

Health is great. Yes, first time, though I am currently on testosterone and ED treatment with my urologist

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I sit a lot when I work, not sure that’s relevant. No smoking, social drinker.

3/13/2018
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board certified internist

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

There is no medication to increase penile sensitivity.

What has your urologist told you as to WHY you have decreased sensitivity?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He did an ultrasound to check for blood flow, though that was primarily for ed. It actually looked pretty good, and my trapping mechanism (I think he called it) was fine too. All he could suggest was to use lube when I masturbate.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I wasn’t expecting any medication to increase sensitivity; I was wondering more about restoring healthier glans skin through hydration and wondering if that would help with sensation.

That is correct. Hydration will help some.

There is no medication or method to increase sensitivity.

Underlying causes of problems would need to be addressed.

One is circulation. If that is ok, that rules out a problem.

Another would be diabetes.

That would have to be treated.

A final possibility would be pelvic neuropathy, nerve dysfunciton in the lower spine and pelvis.

To see if you have this last problem you would need to visit a physiatrist ....physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor.

This type of doctor can do nerve testing in the office.

If there is a problem, the correct physical therapy will help in many cases.

OK, let me know if you have more questions..

Please also click a 5 rating on the rating scale and that takes care of my status with just answer. We can continue as needed. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks. So for hydration should I avoid overly hot water in the shower? Lotion after shower? Topical vitamin e? Just wondering how to care for it.

There is no best way, what your urologist recommends is what you should do.

However, there are a variety of moisturizers for this purpose, the standard is KY, the personal moisturizer is good.

A and E cream is find.

Harsh scents should be avoided.

You should see the physiatrist at this point.

OK, please click a positive rating. A 5 sees that I am credited and paid by just answer , credited in full.

Let me know if you have more questions as well.

DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board certified internist
DrRussMd
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board certified internist