Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Second opinion] my husband has low testosterone, normal lh,

Customer Question
Second opinion] my husband...

Second opinion] my husband has low testosterone, normal lh, high fsh. He has Non-obstructive azoospermia. Our urologist put him on hcg injections back in November an the will be repeating his SA in two weeks. Do you think there is a possilbity that the hcg have helped with sperm production if its brought his testosterone up from 190 to 794, fsh down to 1 and lh is still normal

Doctor's Assistant: Any pain or burning sensation while urinating? What color is your urine?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Had a testicular ultrasound done and there was a cyst on both the right and left epidytimsis as well as a small varicocele on the left side which was undetectable during an examination.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Urology
3/13/2018
Urologist: Vakul Aren, Doctor,38 years of experience replied 1 month ago
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor,38 years of experience

Hello,i am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.Non-obstructive azospermia will usually respond to hormonal therapy like hCG especially if it elevates the testosterone levels.Yes ,One should be very hopeful of correction of the Azospermia by this method,I am sure that you will definitely see good results ,msybe after 2 weeks or maybe later.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you! have you seen this work with other patients in the same situation?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he did do another SA about 6 weeks after being on the hcg injections and it was still zero. Our urologist said that sperm has a three month cycle and that we should see better results after 3 months. we are on month four now and will retest in two weeks. Is that an accurate/fair assumption made by our urologist? Also-have you seen patients in the same exact situation (low t, high fsh, normal lh, azoospermia) take the hcg injections and successfully produce enough in their ejaculate for ivf/icsi?

Using hCG for 9-12 weeks usually results in spermatogenesis after 64 +/- 8 days.If viable sperm are not found,use of Testicular Sperm Extraction(TESE) can be done for intrauterine insemination.This is well documented and established practice.

Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren