Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

My tongue has been swollen on both sides on and off and

Customer Question
Hi doctor my tongue has...
Hi doctor my tongue has been swollen on both sides on and off and feels like a lump under the side of my tongue. It gets better then worsens but this morning I woke up and when I lift my tongue it hurts a lot and now it’s bleeding, what is this? Very worried
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Urology
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t know if u can see it but I can’t stretch my tongue it starts bleeeing and feels as if the skin is so tight
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/11/2018
Urologist: Dr. David, MD replied 1 month ago

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

you most likely have a blocked salivary gland in your tongue from a small salivary duct stone.

you should try to suck on lemon drops and gargle with some salt water to help

it should become unblocked

are you on vacation?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how did you know I am on vacation!!! I am so worried I can’t lift my tongue it feels like it’s going to rip, and it’s bleeding...I keep getting sore feeling on the sides of my tongue it goes away and comes back. Could it be cancer

it is not cancer

you most likely have a blocked submandibular salivary gland

you could be grinding your teeth at night time and bit your tongue as well.

try sucking on lemon candy and rinsing with salt water for now.

until you are able to get back and see a doctor

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why are you saying see a doctor? Is it something serious? You are scaring me. I feel like my whole tongue is infected. I have pain when I lift it now and it was bleeeing this morning.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you 100 sure it is not cancer?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello

yes, I am a cancer doctor

I am a 100% sure it is not infected

make sure you floss and brush 2twice a day to help your gums.

bleeding can be from your gums as well.

you don't have tongue cancer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will it go away on its own?

yes, a blocked salivary gland can get better on its own

suck on lemon candy, hard candy

this can spur on more salivary flow which can help push out the stone blocking the salivary duct

drinking more water and gargling with salt water can help

make sure you floss and brush at least twice a day to help protect your teeth and gums

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How are you sure it’s blocked salivary gland? What about it being something else? I can’t lift my tongue it keeps ripping and bleeding

it could be glossitis inflammation of your tongue

which sometimes can be due to a bacteria infection or allergic reaction.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Whatever it is, it will go away or no I need to see doctor

you may need a course of antibitoics if it is a bacteria infection

or a course of steroids if it is an allergic reaction

you can try some benadryl 50mg tonight and see if it helps it

you could have been allergic to something you ate on vacation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No it started before. My question is, is it serious?

no, most likely it is not serious

and it is not cancer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You are scaring me? Most likely not serious? If it is serious what could it be

I told you already.

most likely an allergic reaction or glossitis tongue inflammation or infection.

I said most likely a blocked salivary duct in your tongue causing swelling.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know but you said it could be serious? I’m very worried now

you are on vacation and you are letting your anxiety get out of control while you are on vacation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But you are saying it could potentially be serious correct

it is most likely not serious.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know but that means it could be serious...could it be cancer? If not what could it be
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m getting very scared now, what is likelihood percentage wise it is not serious

I told you it is not cancer.

did you bring medications to help decrease your anxiety symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why are you avoiding the question doctor...please answer me. I am paying for your medical opinion.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Then what are the other possibilities, the serious ones?

99% it is not serious.

tongue infection, glossitis, allergic reaction.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the 1 percent it could be serious is what?!?!?!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could it be life threatening ?

1% chance it could be a tongue infection or glossitis or allergic reaction.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok is it more likely to be tongue infection if it keeps moving around?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What is glossitis

glossitis is inflammation of the tongue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could it be due to underlying medical problem
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What is the likelyhood this will all go away on its own

50% it could just go away on its own.

like I said before, it could be due to a blocked salivary gland under your tongue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You didn’t answer what about an underlying medical problem...the weird thing is it started on one side went away and now it’s under my tongue I don’t feel anything until I lift my tongue
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You didn’t answer me could it be due to an underlying medical problem? !!

it is not from an underlying medical problem.

it is most likely from a blocked salivary gland from a small salivary duct stone

that is what I told you at first.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay, how did you know I am on vacation

because of the photo you sent and the location said you were in the Dominican republic for country location

We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up see the ratings area)
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The pain from
Under my tongue is but now it feels so slightly numb?

you are letting your anxiety symptoms get the better of you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay so if I am telling you that it no longer hurts like before, what do u think it is? If it getting better?

yes, it is getting better.

most likely the stone which was blocking the salivary duct under your tongue has gone away.

Dr. David, MD