Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Dr., Following up, if I did have a prostate infection as…

Dr. David,Following up, if I...
Dr. David,Following up, if I did have a prostate infection as opposed to a UTI, how would that be diagnosed? The doctor did do a DRE and found no nodules, and upon my asking said the prostate was soft. Not experiencing pain, just feeling a bit of urge to void near the top of the penis. No fever. had some my chills over weekend. Thanks.
Would a prostate infection show up in the urine? (I take it prostate infection same as prostatitis.) Thanks.
2/9/2018
Ross
Ross, Urologist

hello Dr Ross im a urologist i will help if you desire

Ok, thanks.
Here is my background:I would like advice on my current situation. I will give you some background, and then may ask several questions independent to give you credit for your time.I first noticed some urinary abnormalities on 1/29. My urine stream was not as flowing. However, this is not too unusual after sexualactivity (I have read relatively normal due to bladder contractions during orgasm, etc.) . However, the weak stream continued beyond the normal time span, and then I began feeling increased urgency and felt poor over the weekend of 2/3-2/4. I had gone into urgent care on Friday, February 2 for a UTI test and the results came back negative for nitrates but positive for leukocytes. However, since my symptoms were relatively mild the doctor decided to wait until the culture came back before prescribing antibiotics.However, that night the symptoms became worse, and I returned, and he gave me an RX for augmenton. The culture came back negative on Sunday, so I went back to urgent care for an explanation, and gave another urine sample. That afternoon during the Superbowl I had a sausage that most likely had nitrates which I avoid.That urine sample I gave on 2/4 came back positive +3 for leukocytes and positive for nitrates, so the doctor game me an RX for Keflex, 500 mg. bid. which I am still taking. My urine flow appears better, but still have more than normal feeling of urgency.However, the the urine culture came back yesterday with no growth, so I contacted urgent care for an explanation.When I contacted urgent care I received this message:Notify patient that urine culture did not grow out any bacteria , it is still possible you have a prostate infection , recommend continue antibiotic and follow up with urology , you may need to change antibiotics if symptoms continue
your result has been released online.So I am perplexed why I had the positive UTI tests for leukocyes and nitrates as well as other flagged areas and then had the culture came back negative. I called the nurse line, and one explanation offered was that the augementon may have prevented the culture from growing.I have a 20 years history of urinary retention; about five years ago I tried catheters but was always getting UTI's. I went to UC Davis and Stanford, and they both said I could avoid catheters as along as I had an ultrasound every year to make sure my urinary system was ok. I believe back then I was normally retaining about 400-500 ml of urine. However, I have never had a UTI except when using a catheter, and have been voiding better than ever that last year with the exception of the last two weeks.I am going to attach the results of the urinalysis from 2/2, and then the one from 2/4 after using the augementon.Appreciate your observations and recommendations. I will follow-up with new question(s). Thank you.

Hello urine culture will be positive when the infection is heavy enough to get in the urine but usually it settles into the prostate tissue the Keflex you were given but does not penetrate into the prostate only sulfa medications and quinolones do and if treating a prostate usually 4-6 weeks antibiotics recommended. If this has been a recurrent problem medications like to finasteride to help prevent recurrences Leukocytes are showing inflammation and white cells not always bacteria, nitrate come with some G+ organisms that may not be pathogens

plus unluckily the urine test at most med expresses are dip stick test not microscopy so not specific but sensitive

Ross
Ross, Urologist