Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

About 1.5 years ago I experienced a very sudden and

Customer Question
About 1.5 years ago I...

About 1.5 years ago I experienced a very sudden and significant increase in the amount of precum/prostatic fluid I produce, and it has continued ever since. I noticed this after a period where I stopped ejaculating for about a month due to some heavy anxiety and stress I was experiencing at the time. I began feeling discomfort in my urethra/pelvic area and figured I was overly "backed up" after abstaining so long, and started masturbating again. This relieved the discomfort. It's then I became aware of the problem. More specifically: If I get even a partial erection, just for a minute, I'll later notice my glans is covered in precum (clear, mucousy, no odour, and it is only associated with sexual activity). During sex there will be an excessive amount. If I ejaculate, the clear fluid continues to leak for hours afterwards. Even if I urinate it continues, which used to be effective in 'clearing the pipes' for me. I should also mention that this fluid is much thicker and stickier than it used to be, and despite the increase in what seems to be precum, generally the volume of ejaculate I produce is much less. And a lot thicker than normal. Again, the increase in discharge is entirely related to arousal/sexual activity. I have been urine-tested multiple times for STDs & general infections and the results are always negative. I also got a standard prostate exam about a year ago, and the urologist said it felt normal at the time. That said, I have to believe something has changed in my prostate and I am wondering if it is prostatitis or some other condition. This has really affected my sexual confidence and I would really like to resolve it. Thank you in advance for your help.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Urology
Answered in 1 day by:
1/18/2018
Urologist: Vakul Aren, Doctor,38 years of experience replied 1 month ago
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor,38 years of experience

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.It is the parasympathetic nerves that control the valve of the Cowper's Gland that release the precum/prostratic fluid .The fluid produced in the Cowper's gland is mildly alkaline and is used to clean the urethra for the passage of sperms.The alkaline fluid neutralises the acidic urine remaining and does not cause any harm.Getting a prostrate massage and then getting the resultant prostratic fluid examined may help shed some light on your problem.Looking out for Non-Gonococcal Urethritis would be prudent.Excessive precum would not be a disease by itself.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dr. Aren thanks for your reply and for the info. I have been urine tested multiple times, swabbed for staph, and standard blood tests are normal.I really appreciate your insight but I'm asking this question I was hoping to receive a reply from a urologist specifically, as this doesn't seem to be a common issue and I think it needs that level of specialization. Could you refer me to a urologist please? I have an appointment lined up with a urologist but I wanted to use this as something of a second opinion running in tandem with a urologist. Thanks so much.
Urologist: Dr. David, MD replied 1 month ago

This is Dr David

I am sorry you are having excessive precum

some people can have prostate and seminal vessicle and cowpers gland which make too much fluid

there are medications which can help

medications like hyoscyamine, tolterodine can help calm the bladder and is an anticholinergic medication

and could help decrease the amount of fluid the glands make in the pelvis

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dr David. Again, I appreciate you input and thank you for responding. As mentioned above, I would be much more comfortable if you could refer me to a urologist specifically; according to this site there are numerous who answer questions here.Thank you for your time and I appreciate passing me along to a urologist.

sure.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great - is this question now in transit, or..?

yes.

Dr. David, MD