Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

Went and seen a urologist for some kidney and bladder

I'm I went and seen...
I'm I went and seen a urologist for some kidney and bladder problems, such as about 10kidney stone surgeries, removal of left kidney, and a series of 5 Botox injections to raise my bladder! The last procedure he had done was put an inter stem, the box was placed on upper right buttocks, and the wires ran into my spinal cord. Before this procedure was done the doctor and office manager assured me it would be covered by Medicare/Medicaid spend down, before doing the actual surgery, they did a 2week trial where the box was on the outside of my body with wires running into my back, we had chart the results which determined eligibility! This device controls my bladder, bowels, ,etc... After the trial and before the actual surgery the dr. And the office manager said yes you procedure will be covered by both Medicare and /Medicaid after spend down! So I have procedure then 3 months later I find out that my insurance covered the trial, but not the actual procedure! I contacted the ins office and they said there was a week lapse in coverage or some lame excuse! But I have a copy of my paperwork stating I had continual coverage during both the trial and actual procedures! So now I have this implanted device in my body that it suppose to be calibrated every 6 months, and their office won't see me until that bill is paid in full ($8,000+) ! I don't know where else to turn this machine inside me hasn't been calibrated for at least 3 years, there's error messages show up on my hand held unit, but I don't know what they mean! Also, in the past year my bladder leakage has gotten out of hand I am 53 and have to wear adult diapers because I can't get the device to work properly! And for my bowls , well it's just the opposite constantly constipated it's like there's no urge to go so I'm on a guessing game! Please what can I do!,
1/14/2018
Ross
Ross, Urologist

Hello Dr Ross I will try to help.

Sorry to hear of your situation. You probably have a card with the information on your interstem. If you check you probably have a card with your implant #. Check the web site or call the hospital where you had the implant. They should be able to tell you the name of the local rep who services your area. He may be of some help or the company will be

Medtronic's is a company that like good pr so they should have customer representative to see if some other place you can see the rep to get reprogrammed it would not have to be your urologist office they may see you at hospital or other providers . I feel its worth as try. I hope that helped some rating appreciated

Also some of the academic medical centers are more flexible on FU care in fitting you in if you have insurance just for a second opinion consult

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you I will call Medtronics first thing Monday am

check there web site ratings appreciated

Ross
Ross, Urologist
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you so much

thank you good luck what is your neurological diagnosis

botock usually for MS,parkinson, strokes,spinal cord

Botox

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was ran over in 1997 by dual lay pick up and my pelvis and lower back was broke my bladder sits down and back on one side, therefore he did 5 separate procedures injecting Botox to lift my bladder to help with reflux.

ok so you would fit in the spinal or nerve injury category, did the botox help any

do you self cath

have you tried tap water enemas for your bowels

Ross
Ross
Ross, Urologist