Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Viagra and Cialis stopped working. I am 81 years old. I

Customer Question
Viagra and Cialis stopped...

Viagra and Cialis stopped working. I am 81 years old. I cannot find an answer to the question "at what age does Viagra cease working?"

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Atenolol and atorvastatin

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Just that Viagra worked fine for 16 years, then around age 80, with no change in prescriptions, it (Viagra and Cialis both) stopped working. I tried increasing the doseage and checking my blood pressure.Doses of 200, then 300, then 400 and the 500 mg worked for a while. At 600 mg my blood pressure was down to 104/58 and I stopped using more than 500, which no longer works. About 30 seconds of half stiff that is insufficient for penetration. I cannot find an answer to the basic question "at what age does Viagra stop working?"

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

No problems. My blood sugar is about 100, so no diabetes.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Urology
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/11/2018
Urologist: Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine replied 7 months ago
Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Actually, this is a problem faced by many men once they have used the drug for more than 10 years on average. The tissues or rather the vessels in the penis stop responding to viagra and at that time we consider changing the drugs. If Cialis is not working then Levitra or stendra can be tried which are newer agents and may work where others have failed HOWEVER the best option here would be the prostaglandins or injections which have an excellent response rate. These include the following treatments,

Alprostadil self-injection. With this method, you use a fine needle to inject alprostadil (Caverject Impulse, Edex) into the base or side of your penis. In some cases, medications generally used for other conditions are used for penile injections on their own or in combination. Examples include papaverine, alprostadil, and phentolamine. Often these combination medications are known as bimix (if two medications are included) or trimix (if three are included).

Alprostadil urethral suppository. Alprostadil intraurethral (Muse) therapy involves placing a tiny alprostadil suppository inside your penis in the penile urethra. You use a special applicator to insert the suppository into your penile urethra.

The erection usually starts within 10 minutes and, when effective, lasts between 30 and 60 minutes.

It is also recommended that you have your testosterone levels checked as well as get other tests like thyroid function tests along with cortisol level checked too. If the above treatment does not work and the additional tests are normal then you could need the following,

Penis pumps. A penis pump (vacuum erection device) is a hollow tube with a hand-powered or battery-powered pump. The tube is placed over your penis, and then the pump is used to suck out the air inside the tube. This creates a vacuum that pulls blood into your penis.

Penile implants. This treatment involves surgically placing devices on both sides of the penis. These implants consist of either inflatable or malleable (bendable) rods. Inflatable devices allow you to control when and how long you have an erection. The malleable rods keep your penis firm but bendable.

But usually, the injections or even the Levitra or stendra does work.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.