Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have been diagnosed with psoriasis of the glans on my

Customer Question
I have been diagnosed...

I have been diagnosed with psoriasis of the glans on my penis. I have been treating it daily with tacrolimus .03 ointment for 3 months. It has improved only slightly and just recently is extremely tender and inflamed! Please help

Doctor's Assistant: Is the condition chronic, or acute?

It is acute. Started approximately 3 months ago.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Can't think of any

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Urology
1/10/2018
Urologist: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

This is most likely a side effect of Tacrolimus therapy. This drug can lead to dermatitis (skin inflammation) either due to fungal or bacterial infection, or sometimes due to contact with the undergarments.

I believe you need to have this examined by your doctor, and tacrolimus needs to be discontinued for a while; at the same time you will need a swab for culture, as well as a course of antibiotics (topical or oral).

Subsequently when this heals up, your doctor may substitute tacrolimus with another drug for psoriasis like topical steroids.

Keeping in view sensitivity of the area involved, I suggest an urgent exam by dermatologist, with in few days, and if this is not possible then you should go to ER for urgent assessment.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.