Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I was diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis a week ago and I…

Customer Question
Hello, I was diagnosed with bacterial...
I was diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis a week ago and I started taking Metronidazole on Friday (5 days ago).
The doctor also did a urine sample. It came back positive for a UTI with the dipstick and she prescribed antibiotics. I took these for 5 days. The second urine sample I did on Friday was sent to the lab for culture and showed no infection.
The question I have is that I have frequent urination (I get relief from urinating but shortly afterwards, I feel the need to go again). I don't have the classic UTI symptoms (cloudy urine, pain, little urination when going etc). I am in a lot of discomfort though as I am always aware of pressure on my uretha. The GP mentioned that BV cannot cause UTI symptoms but I have read elsewhere that it can. It seems that I am not responding to both antibiotics though and I am not getting a bit concerned. What would you advise?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Urology
1/10/2018
Urologist: DocNid, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
DocNid
DocNid, Board Certified Physician

Thanks for posting your query.

I am Dr.N and I am pleased to assist you.

Though UTI is one of the causes of frequent urination, there are other causes as well which includes diabetes mellitus.

Please check your blood glucose levels to rule out diabetes.

I hope that answers your question

I've been checked for all of that. It's not just frequent urination but a feeling pressure to go constantly that won't go away.
Can vaginal infections cause these symptoms in women?
My GP is not a specialist and I don't want to take a 2nd set of antibiotics for a UTI which doesn't exist necessarily.
Stephanie

Hello Stephanie,

Thanks for getting back to me with more questions.

Yes vaginal infection can cause the symptoms you have mentioned.

Not only vaginal symptoms, but even constipation can cause such symptoms.

Since the second specimen did not show any infection there is no need to treat it as UTI

Thank you.
I was advised by the GP that my symptoms couldn't possibly be related to the vaginal infection.
Although, I have been taking the antibiotics for 5 days and no improvement as yet.
Are there any probiotics you would recommend trying as well?

No, there is no need to take any probiotics now.