Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have been getting testosterone injections for maybe 3

Customer Question
years. My co-pay has gone...
I have been getting testosterone injections for maybe 3 years. My co-pay has gone up to $55 per visit, and they are every three weeks. Can I cut the injection down to once 0per month or maybe just go without them? I had my prostate taken out due to cancer, but all my PSA tests have been 0. After I had my prostate out, my testosterone level went way down below 100. I am 63 years old. IF I choose not to get the injections, what might be the outcome, or is it hard to say?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Urology
1/9/2018
Urologist: Ross, Urologist replied 7 months ago
Ross
Ross, Urologist

Hello Dr Ross I'm a urologist I will try to help.

w​hat was your gleason score

its hard to tell you may get some rebound of your levels from your testicles

after prostate cancer you need to stay off supplemental testosterone for 5-10 yrs depending on the gleason

you may come back some naturally remember the levels are only true if drawn in the morning

I​ hope that helped some rating appreciated

I think Gleason was a 3/3.
you're saying my blood test to measure testosterone has to be taken in the morning? Why hasn't my urologist told me I shouldn't be getting injections, especially when y PSA is 0?

testosterone in your body is highest in morning lowest in afternoomn, I would get a 8am level to see where you truly are then decide.