Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am a 67 year old female in generally good health. For

Customer Question
about 4-5 years I have...
I am a 67 year old female in generally good health. For about 4-5 years I have had very frequent episodes of what I assumed were UTIs. I would just call my gynecologist & he would call in to the pharmacy. He always gave me Macrobid which seemed to work very well. I was getting these maybe every 3 months & sometimes more frequently than that. This fall I finally got fed up with the frequency & decided to see a urologist whom my gynecologist recommended. Because all my cultures were coming back negative the urologist concluded that I wasn't having UTIs at all but rather that I had an overactive bladder. He put me on Myrbetriq; have been on it since late October. They helped me cut down on the number of bathroom trips at night but I still get these UTI-like episodes. The main symptoms are sudden urgency but hardly anything comes out. The worst is the tingling/shivering sensation in the urethra that sometimes seems to travel straight up me to my neck! The urologist insists it's not a UTI & that I would have gotten better w/out the Macrobid. But why does the Macrobid seem to work so effectively? He did give me a physical exam & found nothing amiss. Just wondering what your opinion is. Have you ever heard of this? Thanks.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Urology
Answered in 4 days by:
1/7/2018
Urologist: Dr. Scott, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr. Scott, Doctor

Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Did you have a cystoscopy?

Dr. Y.
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist