Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am a male, 62 years of age and about 3 weeks ago developed…

Customer Question
I am a male...

I am a male, 62 years of age and about 3 weeks ago developed a UTI. I have BPH so that contributes to my susceptibility I believe. I started taking some Clindamycin HCL 300 mg capsules 2x/day for about 4 days, on the day I went in to see my primary doctor I stopped taking it, but began on Macrobid 100mg every 12 hours. In retrospect I believe that the clindamycin was working because that day I began to improve. I thought it best to do what the Dr. recommended so I completed a 7 day course of the Macrobid. I am about 60-70% improved. The problem is I'm out and they can't see me at my clinic and they won't call in more. I'm thinking of going back on the Clindamycin, because I don't want the bacteria to rebound even stronger, by stopping the Macrobid too soon. I don't know what to do? They think they can see me in a couple of days, so far the symptoms are the same, still improved somewhat but not gone.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No allergies, and I don't take any medications, I'm very healthy, exercise eat well no drugs, or smoking, etc.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have some liver problems from past alcohol abuse, but that's under control.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Urology
12/28/2017
Urologist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Clindamycin is not considered a first-line antibiotic for a UTI. There are some specific germs for which it may be effective, but we typically prefer to use an antibiotic that offers broad coverage or let a culture report guide the decision of which antibiotic to use.

So, if the symptoms are still present to an extent that you are uncomfortable to go without antibiotics, and your doctor cannot see you in a timely manner, it would be better to be seen in an Urgent Care Center or Walk-In Clinic, rather than simply resuming the Clindamycin.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.