Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Im 53 years old and my hydrocele has become fairy large. its…

Customer Question
Im 53 years old...

Im 53 years old and my hydrocele has become fairy large. its causing me discomfort, what should i be doing. pls advice. thanks!

Doctor's Assistant: Any pain or burning sensation while urinating? What color is your urine?

Burning very few times. colour is normal sometimes pale yellow

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?

Burning since a year but not too often.discomfort yes due to its increase

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I dont have any medical ailments

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Urology
12/26/2017
Urologist: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, how do you know it is a hydrocoele? Have you had it previously diagnosed by a physician and if so how long ago? Is it painful to touch or pressure? Are you able to push it upward and shrink it? Have you ever had a hernia?
It been since birth. a physician had reviewed it a few years ago and recommended surgery. Its on the right side and a few weeks ao has become fairy large causing discomfort. yes its not too painful. I have not had hernia ever
Thank you for that information. If it has been that long, I’d say it is indeed time for surgery. Most likely you have a partially communicating hydrocoele. Basically, as I’m sure you’re aware already, a hydrocoele is essentially a “bubble of water” surrounding a testicle. If yours has been growing over the years and has now swelled to a size that is painful, there’s a connection of some kind to the fluid in your abdomen, and that connection acts like a one way valve, allowing fluid in but not out. Surgery is the only way to correct this problem and alleviate the discomfort. I’d see your physician and get referred to a urologist to do the procedure.
Can I help with any other questions tonight?
If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you.