Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

I received radiation treatment for prostate. Cancer 9 years…

Customer Question
I received radiation treatment...

I received radiation treatment for prostate

Doctor's Assistant: Is the condition chronic, or acute?

Cancer 9 years ago. Within the last

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

2 years I started bleeding out the urethra following ejaculation my PC physician and my oncologist both agreed that I had burst a blood vessel caused by the radiation the bleeding happens approximately every few months or so not with every ejaculation the last occurance the bleeding was more severe could MY increased dosage of blood pressure medicine account for the increased bleeding?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Urology
12/26/2017
Urologist: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 1 month ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Do you take anything like aspirin or ibuprofen? Also, which blood pressure medication are you on?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am taking Lisinopril 20/25 mg up from
10mg
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No ibuprofen occasionally aspirin

That's a combination medication with hydrochlorothiazide and that medication in particular can cause slight dryness in the urethra and other parts of the skin and that can make you more prone to bleeding. So it could explain the bleeding slightly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What can be done, besides stopping the medication can be done to help reduce the occupancy of this issue?

Generally, the area that bleeds easily will eventually heal itself. It's helpful to stay constantly hydrated and to avoid anything that could cause bleeding. An aspirin can increase your bleeding for up to 2 weeks after taking it so it's not necessarily dangerous but better avoided unless it's absolutely necessary.

I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

Please click the rating button when you get a chance.

-Dr. Mo

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD