Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I recent ultrasound shows I have 'mild hydronephrosis in the…

Customer Question
I recent ultrasound shows...

I recent ultrasound shows I have 'mild hydronephrosis in the lower pole of the R kidney and a 0.9cm exophytic cyst in the upper pole of the same kidney. Are these something to be concerned about? Causes? Anything I should/can do about them?

Doctor's Assistant: Is the condition chronic, or acute?

Not sure. The result says the hydronephrosis is new since the prior study, but I don't when the prior u/s was done.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My paternal grandfather died of 'nephroma' (?) and one uncle and his family have kidney issues.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Urology
12/23/2017
Urologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist replied 7 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

The kidney cyst is not letting the kidney drain urine which is accumulating and thus causing mild hydronephrosis (which is swelling of the part of the kidney).

With new formation of the cyst (which was not present earlier) and family history; you may get it further investigated by a CT scan or MRI.

Majority of kidney cysts are non cancerous (benign).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Urologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist replied 6 months ago

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Merry Christmas.

Happy Holidays.