Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a urology question? Hard to say. Ovarian cancer

Customer Question
I have a urology...

I have a urology question?

Doctor's Assistant: Is the condition chronic, or acute?

Hard to say .

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Ovarian cancer history 2013

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Urology
History. Gross hematuria . No UTI
Kidneys and bladder normal on imaging . Post menopausal . Gross hematuria for x3 in morning
12/21/2017
Urologist: Dr. David, MD replied 7 months ago

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Ok

how old are you?

do you have ovarian cancer now?

have you had a CT scan of your abdomen to check on the status of your ovarian cancer?

52 years . I am good now
i have everything fine

that is good you are fine

you should get a urinalysis to see how much blood is in your urine.

Done there is none

that is good you don't have blood in your urine

do you have other questions?

Why would I have gross hematuria. No UTI and normal imaging

you could have had one episode of broken blood vessel in your bladder

or passed one kidney stone possibly.

No stones ever . And very normal looking bladder and no pain
Urologist: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Do you have the result of the urine tests and CT? If the urine showed gross hematuria, how many units of blood was noted? Was it whole blood or were there casts?

How many repeat UA's were done to confirm the hematuria and have you had a cystoscopy done to look for any causes such as polyps or cancers?

2 more u/a with no hematuria.
So just the 3 incidences on the one day of gross hematuria. No cysto done as of yet . Wondering what else it could be if all else is normal

If it was one single episode then I generally don't worry too much and don't do an extensive workup unless that patient is over age 50. Then I get a urine cytology test and I do a cystoscopy because sometimes a rogue blood vessel will pop and bleed or sometimes there is a bladder polyp or a tiny stones that's not see on CT or even cancer though that's mostly in my smoking patients.

I am over 50 non smoker . What is a urine cytology?

Urine cytology is when the urine is sent to the pathologist, it's spun down, and the cells examined under a microscope to look for cancerous cells.

Makes sense. Could it be a urethral issue as I feel it could be ? And what cystoscopy be able to clearly see that?
Would I mean

If it's urethral then I would expect it to happen more repeatedly. But yes, a cystoscopy would visualize the urethra quite well. Even in the urethra it's normal to have a blood vessel that can spontaneously bleed - that wouldn't be anything alarming by itself.

Ok what about urethral pain ?
Off and on

Urethral pain could be due to irritation of the external urethra from either dry skin or it could be referred pain from the bladder. You might have a stricture in the urethra or you might have some scar tissue in the urethra from a previous infection.

Could this all cause bleeding ?

Stricture don't cause bleeding and scar tissue rarely causes bleeding - so I don't think it would be related to that. But if it was a blood vessel that was irritated then that would both cause bleeding and the discomfort you're describing.

If your doc agrees to do a cystoscopy then that might be a next good move for you because it would visualize the urethra and the rest of the urinary tract quite well. If there is anything abnormal it should be discoverable through this modality.

Makes sense thx

Glad I could help you with this.

I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

Please click the rating button when you get a chance.

-Dr. Mo

If you have a moment please click the star-rating button so that I can get reimbursed for this question and that will end the this question string.

Thank you.

-Dr.Mo