Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

How did I likely get these yeast and bacteria infections?

Customer Question
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Urology
12/20/2017
Urologist: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hi Gerard,

This is Dr Stan.

Yeast infections are common in people who are immunocompromised or are diabetic. In uncircumcised males, the foreskin causes decreased oxygen to the penis head, increased warmth both of which help yeast to grow. I don't think you want to be circumcised so the next best approach is to be meticulous cleaning your penis and to retract your foreskin to keep the area clean and dry. Other than that, continue to apply the medications that your doctor has prescribed. Eventually, the yeast/bacteria will be controlled.

I hope I have addressed your concerns.

Thak you for giving me the opportunity to provide assistance again.

Urologist: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 6 months ago

Any additional thoughts, questions?

Hi doctor, I have had a retest in Melbourne as I am back home for Christmas. Again, ALL tests have came back negative. All Candida on the penis has cleared up also. I have still redness around the top of the penis with slight irritation but no pain when urinating, more just uncomfortable at times. This is also accompanied by some lower abdominal pain and urgency to urinate. Any ideas?

Hi Gerard,

Purchase over the counter Phenazopyridine Hydrochloride 100 mg and take 3 times daily. Drink 8 ounces of cranberry juice daily and 64 ounces of water daily. No alcohol!

Have a Happy New Year.

Please find attached my all my latest results from Melbourne. (Sorry for the individual copies) I have had no sexual intercourse in the last six weeks also. I still am experiencing redness around the eye of of my penis and some discomfort. Considering my results what do you put this down to? I am currently using the ounment pictured below once a day. Is there anything else I should be tested for or is it likely that this is just residual soreness that is still healing? Thanks

Hi Gerard,

As you know every test is negative. The redness is residual and eventually will go away. The soreness may be due to concentrated urine. Are you drinking at least 64 ounces of water daily?, 8 ounces of cranberry juice daily?Phenazopyridine Hydrochloride 100 mg 3 times daily? The Betamethasone is a strong steroid and needs to be slowly discontinued. Only apply 3 times weekly, Monday, Thursday and Saturday.