Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

I'm a retired family physician. I am 91 years old. I had a…

Customer Question
I'm a retired family...

I'm a retired family physician. I am 91 years old. I had a TURP done last January. The pre-op cystooscopy and xrays showed an enlarged prostate (in the 99th percentile re size !!!) Off and on since (maybe once a month) I'd get a bout of gross hematuria with some small clots. The bouts would clear up in a day or two. 2 days ago I had a recurrence, and it's continued all thru today. There are no clots, but the urine is quite red. What to do?: Bill Schenker

Doctor's Assistant: Is the condition chronic, or acute?

It's happened once a month for the past 10 months. This last attack started 2 days ago. So that makes the Chronic AND acute :-)

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I've had a cardiac pacemaker since just before the TURP last January. It's working fine. I take Maxzide for a mild hypertension. Otherwise I'm in pretty good shape for an old geezer :-).

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Urology
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/15/2017
Urologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist replied 2 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Hello Bill,

I am so sorry for your symptoms.

A bleeding from the prostate bed is one of the possibility. You need a cystoscopy / panendoscopy to diagnose it. Also a bladder diverticulum, cystitis or bladder tumor also need to be ruled out.

The persistent bleeding can cause anemia, so you may consider going to emergency room.

If you are on medicines like aspirin, these may affect bleeding time and clotting time. So that too need investigations.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist