Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

My mother has had a UTI recently and I am afraid it is

Customer Question
reoccurring. Can't get into Dr...
My mother has had a UTI recently and I am afraid it is reoccurring. Can't get into Dr. today and she is burning. She is 85 and it is getting really tough taking care of her at home but I do want her comfortable. I didn't think they completely treated her problem last time with 500 keflex twice a day for a week. I thought we should have treated longer. I am searching for new geriatric Dr. In the area. I hope you can help in the interim.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Urology
12/12/2017
Urologist: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Yes, you are right the possibility of recurrence is there. I would recommend for syrup disodium hydrogen citrate which is available OTC and lots of cranberry and raspberry juice. If the infection is mild it might clear up with this syrup alone and it wold relieve burning as well. Give her lots of fluids and water meanwhile to flush her system and to avoid recurrence.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Would you please, in addition to your other suggestions, allow another week of antibiotics. I know I will not get into a new doctor for weeks.

Thanks for the reply.

She can take antibiotics for another week but unfortunately we can not prescribe it here and you need a prescription for this. If you already have in hand for 7 days you can go ahead.

Please let me know if you have followup questions.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor