Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

My wife has had colon digestive trac issues for several yrs…

Customer Question
Hi, my wife has...

Hi, my wife has had colon digestive trac issues for several yrs now. It started with Diverticulites (sp), went to C-Dif appox 5yrs now and dierria will not go away.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Oh yes, family dr, then to specialists several times

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Um, that is the main issue.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Urology
12/12/2017
Urologist: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

I need more information regarding your symptoms/question to help you more efficiently.

Is this diarrhea associated with abdominal pain?

Did she have colonoscopy or upper GI endoscopy done recently?

Has she lost weight?

I had diverticulitis, had surgery, while in hospital recuperating, contacted c-diff. I have my family doctor, and am on my third specialist in this area to no avail of relieving the constant diarrhea. This has been going on for approximately 4 years now. Within the last year I have had both upper GI endoscopy and colonoscopy. No, I am not losing weight, but after each severe bowel movement I am very weak for the rest of the day. I won't go just one time, sometimes the diarrhea will last for over 2 hours constant, then no more maybe for the rest of the day, but then will start again in the morning and sometimes lasts all day. Right now all they are giving me is an over the counter probiotic. The took an x-ray and said I was constipated! So I took Miralax to flush me out. I went yesterday again for another x-ray and they said there was still some constipation and for me to take the Miralax once a day and call them in a week. I am so frustrated, I just want to know if I can be helped.
Urologist: DrRussMd, Board certified internist replied 7 months ago
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board certified internist

The other expert has opted out of the question.

I am a double board certified US doctor.

Chronic constipation, until fixed, can cause diarrhea.

Is this what your doctor is telling you?