Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am suffering from bacterial prostatitis since 2010. Oral…

Customer Question
I am suffering from...

I am suffering from bacterial prostatitis since 2010. Oral and IV antibiotics failed to cure. Will direct prostate injection cure my condition.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the condition chronic, or acute?

Chronic

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Ecoli and Enterococcus are the infections. I want to try direct injection from Dr Song in China. Any idea if that is safe and whether it will work.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Urology
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/11/2017
Urologist: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

Though there are a few case reports that suggest a beneficial result with an injection of antibiotic into the prostate but only on the basis of these case reports this treatment approach cannot be recommended. Studies using this approach have to be done and only if the results are beneficial in the majority of patients in the study this treatment method can be recommended. So, at present, there is no convincing evidence that this approach is safe or effective. I don't think that this will work for everyone and can be harmful as well since there is no documentation of short term and long term complications with this treatment. Therefore you should avoid this treatment since even this treatment is not likely to cure your condition.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!