Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Intermittent gross hematuria(without infection and with),

Customer Question
hysterectomy done years ago,...
Intermittent gross hematuria(without infection and with), hysterectomy done years ago, ruled out kidney stones, 2 urine cytology tests (once with infection,once without) finding abnormal cells. I believe atypical cells. Cystoscopy was done but found no apparent tumors in bladder after first abnormal cytology. However did find several urethra polyps. After the second abnormal results from cytology were found(with exact same report of the first test) next one is going to be FISH test... waiting for insurance company to authorize. I know I am not supposed to worry just yet and Dr said abnormal cells could just be inflammatory related but I would like to know what the odds are that cancer is the cause. After reading more about cytology testing and the fact that two of them have shown suspicious, I am just trying to prepare myself. My urologist will do biopsies after FISH results if warranted.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Urology
12/11/2017
Urologist: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

still need help?

I do not see an answer. With the history of the results thus far, I am looking for a second opinion on the plan of the FISH test next followed by hospitalization with biopsies through urinary tract(I forgot what he called that) and the odds of these suspicious cells being cancer. After reading more about cytology testing, it is worrisome to have the same findings from two separate tests.

Did you have a CAT scan?

to rule out kidney stones with the first episode of hematuria, and again after third episode.
I wouldn't be as apprehensive if the second cytology results were remotely different however the cell pathology was the exact same.

I think this is absolutely nothing to worry about

Your cytology and hematuria is likely a benign source

you have had a serious workup and all negative

is this helpful?

Dr. Y.
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist