Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

My mom had urteroscopy done few days ago, they didn't see…

Customer Question
Hi, my mom had...

Hi, my mom had urteroscopy done few days ago, they didn't see any leision , however the wall was irregular at proximal ureter close to renal pelvis. She had CT IVP prior and noticed soft tissue mass surrounded her proximal ureter. my question is could TCC or any ureter cancer growing outward ?

Doctor's Assistant: Is the condition chronic, or acute?

She had blood in her urine for the past 3 months

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No severe pain, mild pain with physical stress mild pain in RLE quadrant

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Urology
12/8/2017
Urologist: Ross, Urologist replied 7 months ago
Ross
Ross, Urologist

hello DR Ross Im a urologist I will try help.

​TCC always goes inward out, outside could be inflammatory reaction and you worry about lymphomas or what are called retroperitoneal tumors, some are benign so you may try to bx or wtch for growth

you can also have what is retroperitoneal fibrosis which is just scar tissue growth

did they do a biopsy or get urine cytology

They did biopsy on ureter wall tissue, since they didn’t see anything in ureter, except irregular wall. The biopsy result is not back yet. The urine cytology is negative .

if bx regular you think of the other diagnosis. If it is ureteral cancer the ct will look like a surrounding lesion also usually worse in than out not usually just irregulary

I​m sorry I don't have phone hook up for this service

just do it when im not working in evenings occasionally any other questions

Could lymphoma only see in focal area surrounding ureter? Not seen anywhere else? If Biopsy is negative, do they need to get a biopsy in the soft tissue mass surround ureter to confirm? How else can they tell what is it? Does biopsy tells you what kind of cancer it is?

it can start as a mass surrounding the ureter and kidney dx by growth. Bx would give you the tumor cancer type

usually when I have seen lymphoma its growing around the whole kidney its just something in my mind to consider

biopsies tell the most info from in the ureter if that is inconclusive they bx outside

any other questions im sorry I don't do the phone service

ratings appreciated if helpful thank you

hopefully the biopsy will be negative and it will be a reactive lymph node that can just be followed for growth