Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

During annual preventive exams, results indicate that I have…

Customer Question
During annual preventive exams...

During annual preventive exams, results indicate that I have a "TRACE" of Blood in the Urine. Several tests by a Urologist were completed years ago and nothing showed "Positive" as to WHY this has occurred. Stating that "maybe" since I do exercise, this may be the cause. meaning the Stressful Exertion on the Muscles caused by lifting weights etc. For the last TWO Years the Urine sample has NOT Indicated any Trace of Blood ... however this Current Exam did Indicate a Trace. My Annual Exam checks my Blood and Urine ,,, so what am I to think ?? I am at a LOSS & CONFUSED on what EFFECTS this is causing my Body ?? I am a 70 year old man and am looking for answers & certainly don't wish to go through the SAME TESTS only for the Urologist to tell me that they CANT FIND THE CAUSE etc. .... THANK YOU for Your Reply !!

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

I am in Excellent Condition ... 10 mg Lisinoprill ( bllod pressure ) & 20 mg Simvastatin ( Chorlesterol ) DAILY.. Annual Exam indicates EVERYTHING is in the RANGE of the Testing Process .. PSA .. is good etc.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing at all ... everything was discussed during the Testing etc.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Urology
11/29/2017
Urologist: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 8 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Trace urine or microscopic hematuria is generally not an indication for concern. It's gross (macroscopic) hematuria that is more concerning and warrants a full investigation.

Are you ever experiencing any symptoms when this occurs?

What are the Effects of this TRACE of BLOOD ... any Concerns that I should have ?? Any Medications to subscribe or something else that I should or shouldn't do to CLEAR Up the problem of blood in the urine ??

There are no effects that are concerning. It's quite common to find trace blood on a large percentage of patients who we screen.

I wouldn't recommend taking any medications for it because it's benign. I generally advise my patients who have a normal exam and normal blood work to otherwise ignore the microscopic hematuria.

Especially since you're otherwise healthy it would be wise to not do anything about this since anything you might do could have potential side effects as well.