Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I'm a 21 year old male who's having ejaculation problems.

Customer Question
I'm a 21 year old...
I'm a 21 year old male who's having ejaculation problems. Several months ago, I began having very poor ejaculations. Very little semen comes out, and when it does it is more clear and liquidy than normal. The orgasm is not the same; similar to a epididymal hypertension feeling after.About four years ago, I was diagnosed with Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM). As a result, I have dealt with erectile dysfunction since. Additionally, I taken lexapro for anxiety for nine years.I know lexapro and spinal cord issues are two major causes of ejaculation problems, but I did not have any problems at all for three or so years after I was released from the hospital.I originally used viagra (100 MG) to treat ED, but switched to Triple P Injection therapy as my primary treatment. I was using the injections for approximately 6 months to a year without any problems before I began experiencing these problems.I do not believe it's retrograde ejaculation, as my urine is not cloudy afterwards. I do not believe it has anything to do with external factors (exercise, diet, alcohol, medication, etc.), as none of this changed when the problems started. While researching, one possible cause I found feasible was a varicocele. I've noticed thicker, darker veins at the base of my penis on the right side. It's not too noticeable, but I'm confident it was not this prominent in the past. I have not noticed any shrinkage in the testes.Also worth noting
- I typically injected Triple P on the right side of my penis
- I also suffer from urinary incontinence as a residual effect from the ADEM and wear an external catheter (Texas/condom cath); I typically wrap the condom cath in coban to keep it secure. I never cut off circulation, but I do sometimes wrap it tight
- I overheat easily, especially since being released from the hospitalDo you have any ideas about what could be going on!? I'm desperate for answers! I've tried everything - Viagra vs. ED, different positions, different methods, etc. - nothing works!
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Urology
11/22/2017
Urologist: Dr. David, MD replied 8 months ago

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry about your ejaculation problems.

you should be doing some kegel exercises to help strengthen your pelvic floor muscles.

I am sorry about your ADEM.

lexapro can affect ejaculation

Cyproheptadine is an antihistamine with antiserotonergic properties that has been reported for over a decade to reverse antidepressant-induced sexual dysfunction. it can cause some fatigue. but it could help your ejaculation.

you should also get blood testing to check your testosterone levels.

let me know if you have questions.

Urologist: Ross, Urologist replied 7 months ago
Ross
Ross, Urologist
Hello Dr Ross I'm a urologist I will try to help what is you main question ther are several in your statement
The varicocele can cause decreased sperm mobility but the testicles only make 15% of the semen, the rest comes from the prostate.
even if there was a varicocele there would still be a significant amount of semen? Am I understanding that correctly?If a varicocele isn't likely the issue, any ideas on what could be causing it?