Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

63 YR OLD DIABETIC FEMALE WHO TAKES LISINOPRIL 10MG AND

Customer Question
I AM A 63 YR...
I AM A 63 YR OLD DIABETIC FEMALE WHO TAKES LISINOPRIL 10MG AND LANTUS 50 UNITS NIGHTLY. I WAS HAVING UTI SYPTOMS AND SINCE I WORK IN A PEDIATRICS OFFICE I DID A UA AND CULTURE. LAB SAID IT WAS ATYPICAL E-COLI AND MY DOCOTR STARTED ME ON MACROBID. THREE DAYS IN AND I WAS STILL HURTING SO A UA AND CULTURE WAS DONE AGAIN. FOUND OUT THAT IT WAS KLEBSEIELLA . MY DOCOTR CALLED IN CIPRO BECAUSE SHE WAS LEAVING TOWN. CULTURE SHOWS SENSITIVE TO SUPRAX BUT SINCE WE ARE A PEDIATRIC OFFICE WE DON'T TEST FOR CIPRO. THERE SEEMS TO BE ALOT OF WARNINGS FOR CIPRO INCLUDING TENDINITIS. I CURRENTLY HAVE A TORN MENISCUS SO I AM NOT SURE IF I SHOULD TAKE, ANYWAY, I AM ALLERGIC TO SULFUR SO AT THIS POINT SHOULD I TAKE SUPRAX WHICH I KNOW IS SENSITIVE OR CIPRO. I HAVE GOTTEN MANY DIFFERENT OPINIONS SO I WANT SOMEONE OUTSIDES OPINION.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Urology
11/17/2017
Urologist: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

According to my opinion you can take ciprofloxacin as it is used commonly and the rate of tendinitis is almost less than 1 % so overall it is rare and since you are allergic to sulphur so better to avoid suprax and every antibiotic has some side effects. Torn meniscus is not a contraindication for ciprofloxacin so i think you can go ahead with ciprofloxacin. Along with that take lots of fluids and cranberry juice as it helps in clearing out UTI.

Hope this helps.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

You stated avoid Suprax since I am allergic to sulfa. Is suprax a form of sulfa? pharmacist said no?

Thanks for the reply.

If you have sulfa allergy then you can take suprax. Sulfa is different from sulfur.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.