Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

If I'm looking down, my left testicle some times goes up…

Customer Question
Hello, if I'm looking...

Hello, if I'm looking down, my left testicle some times goes up into my groin. It happens periodically through the day but I can easily press it down into my scrotum and it stays put for a while. But inevitably will happen again. It's not uncomfortable and I don't have any pain. My wife and I have been unsuccessful trying to get pregnant for the last 6-8 months. I got a sperm test and everything came back normal. Even though my results came back normal do you think this could be causing infertility issues on my end?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Obviously you're not reading this because I don't have any pain. Thanks a lot. Embarrasing enough typing this....

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Urology
11/15/2017
Urologist: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 5 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician and I am happy to help you. The phenomenon you have witnessed in terms of the left testicle is called a cremasteric reflex, named after the cremaster muscle that envelops the testicle and retracts it up into the groin or relaxes and allows it to hang lower in the scrotum. This is completely normal. It's the body's way of regulating temperature of the testis for sperm production. If you've already undergone sperm testing and were deemed normal based on count and motility, then no, you do not have fertility issues on your end.

Can I help you with anything else?

If you have no further questions, please click the button to accept the answer and conclude our interaction. I would also appreciate the kindness of a 5 star positive review. Thank you.

Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD