Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Causes of both testicles swelling. No recent injuries

Customer Question

Causes of both testicles swelling
JA: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: No recent injuries swelling in both testicles for last six/seven months
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: past history of prostrate cancel. psa tested last 30 days negative
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Have you had any evaluation for the swelling?

How long ago were you treated for the prostate cancer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
six months proton therapy more than ten years ago
suspected water in testicles physical examination only

Since the prostate treatment was 10 years ago, the current symptoms typically would not be related to that treatment.

There are several possible causes of swelling in both testicles.

Infection/inflammation is very common, but these problems usually present with acute swelling, not 6 months of swelling. If you had an exam, then there would usually have been evidence of infection/inflammation.

Anatomic abnormalities are another very common cause. Clear fluid collection in a sac, called a hydrocele, is the most common. There are some other similar structures, called a spermatocele or a varicocele.

It is also possible to get an appearance of testicular swelling related to a hernia and this is the other common cause of swelling. The doctor can usually detect a hernia on exam, so the doctor saying that it appeared to be a fluid collection would usually also mean that a hernia is not present.

Swelling also can occur from a twisting of the testicle, but this also causes acute swelling, not chronic swelling.

So, this is most likely a hydrocele. The definitive test for a hydrocele is an ultrasound of the scrotum.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know. If I have answered your question, please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?