Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Does lack of sleep cause frequent urination in the morning?

Does lack of sleep...

Doctor's Assistant: Any pain or burning sensation while urinating? What color is your urine?

No pain. Clear urine. Just multiple trips when I finally do get up. Nights when I sleep well it’s not a problem. Is it anxiety from lack of sleep?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

No pain at all. Ever.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Enlarged prostate but psa .8

11/12/2017
medicaldoctor
medicaldoctor, Urologist

Hello and welcome to Justanswer,I shall be consulting you today.

Anxiety or stress can lead to more frequent urination very commonly.

Enlarged prostate itself can cause more frequent urination.

You are not having any burning so this does rule out an infection.

Apart from these a high blood sugar level also lead to frequent urination.

But in your case this is most likely due to anxiety.You can limit or decrease intake of water and coffee,tea from evening onwards.

Do let me know if you have more questions.

Please do leave a positive 5 star rating by simply clicking on the stars on top left or bottom corner of this thread so that I can be credited for helping you today.

You are not charged for rating positively and I will be here for any follow up questions.

Thank you.

Best wishes.

Thank you for your quick reply. Days when I have slept well the night before I go to the rest room about 6 or 7 times for the entire day. Days when I have had little to no sleep, I find myself going about 10 or 11 times. Decent volume, clear n good flow. Do you think this is stress / anxiety because of lack of sleep?

Yes this seems to be due to stress/anxiety from lack of sleep.

How are your blood sugar levels?

My last glucose was a 97, just under the upper limit of normal. I also don’t eat after 7 pm. At what glucose numbers does one begin to experience freq urination as a result of diabetes?

Okay 97 is normal...

fasting levels above 126 can lead to more frequent urination.

So stress/anxiety from lack of sleep is the reason for frequent urination in your case.

Thank you.

Best wishes.

Thank you so much. One last question...have a enlarged prostate- I’m 56, with a psa of .86 in January of 2016. When should I retest.? I’ve read all the detail pro and con about testing n don’t want to get bogged down in over treatment n worrying needlessly. But I have developed in the last 6 months the need to go to the bathroom about once a night now. Your thoughts ?

With PSA of .86 ,you should have the next test every 2 to 4 years.This would be in 2018.

You are welcome :)

you consider going to the bathroom once a night no reason for concern, even with my enlarged prostate?

Well it does not seem to be due to prostate since you have these symptoms only when you have lack of sleep.

If this was due to prostate enlargement then there would have been some other symptoms like poor urinary stream,dribbling of urine,difficulty initiating urination and a feeling of incomplete evacuation after urination.

I guess what my question is : I just developed the need to go to the bathroom nightly in the last 6 months. Prior to that I never woke up, but now I do. I found out in January / 2016 almost 2 yrs ago I had an enlarged prostate w psa of .86. With my recent urinary changes of having to go once a night now, does that indicate things maybe changing w my prostate, maybe getting larger or am I just worrying too much?

Going to bathroom just once a night does not suggest that your prostate is getting worse.

do you have any of the symptoms that I mentioned above in my last message?

If yes then you can visit your doctor he would repeat the ultrasound scan to measure the size of your prostate and would give you some medications for this.

No not really, I have good steady flow, no starting or stopping, I always feel completely voided, but usually takes a second or two to get it started. So I guess my answer is No to the symptoms u mentioned. During the night I do sit down to pee but during the day I stand. Does that make any difference?

No it does not make any difference and with you not having of the above mentioned symptoms means that this increased frequency is not because of prostate.

It is simply due to stress or anxiety.

medicaldoctor
medicaldoctor, Urologist
Thanks for your time. This has been good information.

You are welcome.