Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I appreciate your time. I am a 23 year old, third year

Customer Question
Hi, my name is***** appreciate...
Hi, my name is***** appreciate your time. I am a 23 year old, third year medical student.For the past seven days, I have had an increased urgency and frequency to urinate. I can go even more than 30 times a day - majority of these times, I feel an increased urgency however when I go, only asmall amount or drops come out. For the past 2-3 days, the urgency kind of feels to be getting worse, I feel as if I won't be able to hold it however I am still able to as there is no leaking.There is no burning or irritation or any discharge. No recent sexual encounters and no other associate symptoms. I take coveram10/10 for essential hypertension and Valdoxan 25 because I also do suffer from anxiety. I have been under stress lately as I began exams last week.I have done a few tests at my family doctor:Last week I did a dipstick which was normal apart from +1 protein. Voiding bladder US was normal (450mL pre voiding, 45mL post voiding). An initial urine culture was normal according to my doctor.Yesterday I performed another dipstick and urine culture. The dipstick was normal, and early urine microscopy showed 10 - 100 white cell count. We are waiting for the cultures to return. Due to the result of the white cell count, my doctor said it would be worth a try to undergo a 5 day course of antibiotics (keflex). Today is my second day of antibiotic treatment, symptoms are largely the same.1. What do you think could be going on? My doctor believes that it is either a UTI, or most likely, a hypersensitive bladder due to exam stress. However there have been days where I haven't felt stress at all yet symptoms have continued. I am really worried as I want to go back to work in 5 days and I don't think I'll be able to manage the way things are at the moment. My family doctor does think this will settle down once I finish exams tomorrow. Do you think there is a chance it could?2. I have mentioned this query to another doctor online, and he believed it may be due to an Over Active Bladder. However since I am relatively young to receive this diagnosis, I wanted a second opinion, if that is okay. Do you think this could be OAB?
3. I am worried that it could be something serious, like Multiple Sclerosis. 1.5 years ago, I had an episode of sudden onset numbness in one arm and fearing the same thing, I ended up having an MRI of my brain and lumbar spine which both came back negative. Do you think this could be MS?Thank you for your timeKind Regards
George
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Urology
11/12/2017
Urologist: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

still need help?

Hi,Yes if you can please. My question is above^

I am 99% sure this is overactive bladder or interstitial cystitis

Interstitial cystitis is often brought on by anxiety

I would go with a med like detrol LA. Try that and see if it helps

How treatable are these conditions?
Is there a chance this will resolve on its own once I get over exam stress?

They are highly treatable

Medications, bladder instillation, low acid diet all help

yes, they will improve when exams are over.

But remember you are a third year student.

The stress doesn't necessarily get better my friend.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Thanks for this question

I strive for 5 star service for all customers.

If you have more questions, just reply :)