Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

General practitioner wrote prescription for urinary tract…

Customer Question
General practitioner wrote prescription...

General practitioner wrote prescription for urinary tract infection 5 times then change antibiotic for 2 more prescriptions then sent patient to urologist who inserted camera into bladder discovering 2 polyps and wrote another different prescription for 2 months use. No need to see patient after that period of time. Is this normal procedure? The patient was my sister in Kansas and our mother had bladder cancer. We are concerned that the Dr. did not suggest removing the polyps.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the condition chronic, or acute?

Much more frequent than I have had as an older sister as I am 72 and have only had one in my life.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My sister is quite heavy and does not see a doctor until she is very sick or scared. She does not take good care of herself because of this practice. She has lost teeth because she did not get dental care. She does not get vaccines for anything and she is 70 yrs old.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Urology
11/10/2017
Urologist: DrRussMd, Board certified internist replied 8 months ago
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board certified internist

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

Bladder polyps can be benign or cancerous.

Given your description at this point, they should be removed unless there is a good reason not to do so.

I would have her get a second opinion from another urologist.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Also: Hopefully this helps and I have earned a 5 rating from you today. [This has to be clicked on the rating scale on your page.] A 5 rating specifically allows me to have full credit and continue my accurate service as well as providing follow up to you as needed, and it costs you nothing more. Thanks.