Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Haven't ejaculated for a little over two months have Foley…

Customer Question
Haven't ejaculated for a...

Haven't ejaculated for a little over two months have Foley catheter in and might be another two months if I go w/o ejaculating can I do it with it in that's an awfully long time to not do it

Doctor's Assistant: Any pain or burning sensation while urinating? What color is your urine?

Yellowish but it's also dark because I'm taking rafampton or whatever it's called antibiotic

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Just had laminectomy surgery 2 months ago

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Urology
11/7/2017
Urologist: Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine replied 6 months ago
Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your foley's catheter. Actually while it is possible for you to ejaculate while a foley's catheter is in place it is not recommended as it may cause your pain and discomfort. The reason being that if you ejaculate the semen would travel up the tubes and towards the urethra and since the foley's is blocking the urethra, the semen would get stuck at that site and would either be pushed back towards the prostate and epididymis or stay at the site. The semen would slowly get reabsorbed back into the body from either site however during that time it can cause you pain, discomfort, burning etc in the region. Secondly if this happens repeatedly then it can also lead to damage to the prostate etc as well which is what happens in patients with retrograde ejaculation.

While the foley's would not be blocked because of this problem because the opening of the foley's is inside the bladder, you would suffer from an increase in pain in the area and that is why it is not recommended that you ejaculate while a catheter is in place.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!

Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine