Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

My brother was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and…

My brother was recently...

My brother was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and has been experiencing blood in his urine frequently, what is best to alleviate this problem?

Doctor's Assistant: Is the condition chronic, or acute?

I just know the bladder cancer is advanced, but the bleeding is fairly heavy (dark red most times)

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He is fairly healthy otherwise

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/21/2017
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General Practice

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Is he receiving any treatment for his bladder cancer?

Any burning on urination or fever right now?

No treatment as yet, he is awaiting a PET scan to assess whether it is contained or if it may be on the outside of the bladder wall as well. But the bleeding is the main concern as it is frequent
He has no fever, and no burning, but had a small clot which was rather painful - it did pass though

OK

Right now this sounds like he has a prostate gland infection

Nothing too serious and for now he can take oral probiotics and drink lots of cranberry juice but if it continues for more than a few more days he needs to have his doctor check it out so he can get some antibiotics to clear it

Please let me know if you need any more information

He did have a cystoscophy (not sure if spelling is correct) a few weeks back, and the bleeding has been going since then. I am concerned he will lose too much blood if it is not controlled. His urologist has not prescribed anything to help at this stage. My own doctor suggested cykoklapron, but I'm concerned about the side effects?

He isn't loosing all that much blood

He simply needs antibiotics at this stage

When you say he isn't losing much blood, I am not on the same page - surely 4 weeks of bleeding in the urine is loss of a large amount of blood? Will antibiotics not weaken his immune system in his fight against the cancer? Sorry about all the questions, but I just need to be positive we are doing the best we can
Dr, not sure if you are still there? Just need to know about why you say he isn't losing much blood?

No the antibiotics won't weaken his immune system

And I fully understand your concern here

But again even with what's going on here it isn't a loss of all that much blood

Ok I hope he will be okay until his urologist prescribes the antibiotics. In the meanwhile would Cykoklapron help at all?

Yes it would definitely help and you shouldn't be concerned about the possible side effects

Thanks, ***** ***** did suggest it but as I heard about one side effect being clots, I was concerned there would be a risk, as he did have a small clot which caused pain last week, but it did pass

There'd be no danger of that in this situation

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General Practice