Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

I been taking laxatives because I believe I was constipated.

If your colon is empty...
I been taking laxatives because I believe I was constipated. If your colon is empty from the laxatives and you keep taking the laxatives is that I reason why you would not go to the bathroom because the colon is empty? One doctor I talked to on here said it takes a day for food to travel through the colon.
10/20/2017

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Yes it can take 6 to 24 hours for food to travel from stomach to colon depending on the food constitution and motility of the intestines.

Mild laxatives will have their limitation if the colon is empty and will not cause any bowel motion. But strong laxatives can cause diarrhea and intestinal juices would be expelled as liquid bowel motions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I seem to have diarrhea from the laxatives Dr. Phophalia. So it could be true that I should wait a couple days before I take any more laxatives. I just think the colon is probably empty and I don't need to worry about an impaction because I am in no pain. What do you think Dr. Phophalia?

Absence of pain indicates lack of impaction. Eat lot of fruits, veggies and fiber. That way it would help.

Also avoid laxative for a day.

It is privilege assisting you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I take Metamucil Dr. Phophalia
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
3 times a day for better digestion one teaspoon 3 times a day.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I left you 5 star feedback again Thanks Doctor.

Okay, you can take it.

Thank you.

My best,

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist