Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

How can I avoid cystitis. I have doctor's prescription,

Customer Question
How can I avoid...

How can I avoid cystitis .

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes. I have doctor's prescription, Nufloxib, but can't get it at local pharmacy, West Lakes ,Adelaide area.xx

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He is my Gp and knows my history , have this problem ca every 2 years

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Urology
10/6/2017
Urologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist replied 10 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Following approach for the chronic / recurrent urinary tract infection may be helpful;

1) An estimation of residual urine. This is done by an ultrasound examination. An ultrasound is done with full bladder. Then you are asked to void and ultrasound is repeated. If there is a residual urine amount more than 50 ml; that is considered as significant amount. An high residual urine in bladder will not let the UTI eradicated. In a high residual urine following investigations would be done;

a) CMG (cystometrography); this tells about the bladder muscle and sphincter functions. A problem in these would not let the bladder empty properly and thus the recurrent UTI.

b) Pelvic floor EMG; tells about the pelvic muscle dysfunctions and help in above.

These will need medications to improve bladder emptying.

2) Medications which alter urinary pH helps in eradicating the recurrent or chronic UTI with the antibiotics.

3) Culture for the mycobacterium; this if grown will need different kind of medication regime specifically for the mycobacterium bacteria which do not respond to the antibiotics.

4) Gynecological examination; to see for the major cystocele (bladder prolapse). This also predisposes for the recurrent UTI.

5) If above do no help the other investigation contemplated are;

a) Cystoscopy; camera exam to look for bladder diverticulum or any other abnormality.

b) MR urography (magnetic resonance urography to look for infective nidus elsewhere in the urinary tract).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl