Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

78 yr old male. Recently re-started serious bicycle riding -

Customer Question
78 yr old male...

78 yr old male. Recently re-started serious bicycle riding - max effort for 17 miles 2x week. My KET, BIL & URO readings on dipstick have spiked to very hi values. Related?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No Dr visit. Take Finesteride & Tamsulosin (sp?), nothing else.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Have bladder cancer. T1HG, been NED for 3 years. Use weekly dipstick to watch for blood - just noticed big change in the KET, BIL & URO.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the condition chronic, or acute?

Which - cancer? It's the only med problem I have (that I know about).

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Urology
10/4/2017
Urologist: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

The exercise explains the presence of ketones in the urine dip stick, extreme exercise can increase the presence of ketones in the urine, so that is something related to the recent increase in activity.

Having excess Urobilinogen and bilirubin in the urine indicates liver pathology or break down of red blood cells. Starvation and extreme exercise can together increase the burden on the liver, causing excessive ketones, bilirubin and urobilinogen in the urine. I would suggest that you see your doctor for this and get a Urinalysis done.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

These readings have gone to the max values. Does that mean that I'm exercising too hard. Am I hurting my liver or kidneys by riding this hard?

That is a possibility. So, I would suggest that you progressively increase the exercise level from low to moderate and then to high.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Do you have more queries?

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor