Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

What is the purpouse of stents in bladder. She had an

Customer Question
What is the purpouse...

What is the purpouse of stents in bladder

Doctor's Assistant: Is the condition chronic, or acute?

She had an infection urinary and they installed stents

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She has copd

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Urology
10/4/2017
Urologist: Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine replied 8 months ago
Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about the patient in question. Actually the stents are inserted a little above the bladder into the major tube which carry urine from the kidney TO the bladder, these structures are known as ureteral stents however they are commonly referred to as bladder stents. These are inserted when the ureters (urinary tubes) are blocked because of the an infection in the bladder or the kidneys which causes them to become and blocked, this would then need to be opened up with insertion of stents so that urine can drain from the kidneys into the bladder. if this is not done then the urine would not drain from the kidneys into the bladder and the kidney would be damaged.

ANother reason for them to be inserted is that kidney stones would be blocking the way and again they would be removed and the stents would be used to open up the passage.

Now given the patients history, it is likely that the infection spread to her kidney or even the ureters and they blocked the passage of urine and thus stents were needed here.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine