Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

I am suffering from an overactive bladder - well more a very

Customer Question
Hello, I am suffering from an...
I am suffering from an overactive bladder - well more a very sensitive bladder. I don't have any leakage and don't get up in the night...however in the day I always have this feeling that I need to pass water even if I've just gone an hour or so before. It's as if I feel uncomfortable with the slightest feeling of urine in my bladder. It's as if I feel warm down there and this sensitivity is starting to rule my life! Please could you also advise on the best way to pass urine? As I hate having this feeling I tend to pass water, but then try to go again immediately afterwards. Sometimes because of anxiety I'll go back a few times and each time I am able to squeeze out that little bit more urine. Is it possible that I've damaged my urine system / muscles by doing this at all? I would hate to think so & hope that bladder training can re-do any damage that I may have done?! I am a 40 year old female, with no children. When I pass urine should I jump straight off the toilet once the initial flow has come to an end or try to go again a couple of seconds later?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Urology
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2017
Urologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist replied 1 month ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Let me at the outset answer your specific questions;

You are not likely to damage your urinary symptoms by going frequently.

Bladder training and Kegel exercise would help you.

You may try to go again (there is no harm at all) to evacuate your bladder completely.

Many of your symptoms may be psychological or due to anxiety than a physical cause.

Overactive bladder (OAB), is a condition caused by sudden involuntary contraction (overactivity) of the bladder detrusor muscles. OAB is characterized as urinary urgency, with or without urge incontinence, increased frequency and night time urination (nocturia), in the absence of any causative infection or any bladder pathological conditions. The cardinal symptoms of OAB are considered to be urgency, frequency, and nocturia. In fact, urgency has been found to be significantly related to patients' quality of life. The investigations to establish the cause are;

1) urine culture for mycobacterium; this will need special culture medium

2) cystoscopy

3) vaginal ultrasound

4) frequency / volume charts

5) urine cytology

6) cystogram

7) postvoid residual volume assessment using urethral catheterization or ultrasonography

8) cystometry: This is a simple method for testing the bladder's storage function and provides information on bladder capacity, the extent of accommodation or compliance, the ability to sense bladder filling and temperature, and the presence of an appropriate detrusor muscle contraction.

9) urodynamics: This is used to measure bladder pressure during micturition.

10) uroflowmetry; The urine flow rates are assessed based on the detrusor pressure and urethral resistance. One voids in a commode connected to a computer which measures peak urine flow rate, etc.

Since you do not have night time urination; OAB is less likely and investigations above are recommended.

Urethral or bladder prolapse may cause your symptoms.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you. Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating. The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist