Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Husband had an ileostomy about 5 weeks ago. Has had cramps…

Customer Question
Husband had an ileostomy...

Husband had an ileostomy about 5 weeks ago. Has had cramps off and on the last couple of days. Not severe but different than what he has had since the surgery. Stoma is still outputting sometimes liquid...sometimes with soft stool. He has a Dr. appointment on Thursday at which time they will discuss his discomfort, I was wondering if there is anything we need to ask for as far as tests go.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

No fever, rash or loss of appetite. He eats multiple times a day to gain back the weight he lost when he had the surgery.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?

He hasn't had a fever and no respiratory symptoms.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Other than the cramps he seems to be fine. He did have a problem in the hospital that his electrolytes were somewhat imbalanced. They regulated his electrolytes before he came home and he is currently taking 800 mcg of magnesium 4 times a day. He just had blood drawn on Friday for the appointment on Thurday and about a month ago he had a blood draw for his last appointment and his electrolytes were good.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Urology
10/3/2017
Urologist: Dr. David, MD replied 10 months ago

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

imbalanced of electrolytes, low potassium, low blood magnesium levels can cause bowel cramps

he should get blood testing again to check on his electrolytes to see if they are normal.

he may need to drink more fluids and eat more fruits and vegetables to get more potassium into his system

let me know if you have questions.