Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

My 88 year old husband who is handicapped and has limited…

Customer Question
My 88 year old...

My 88 year old husband who is handicapped and has limited ability to walk and balance, and semi-wheelchair bound, is showered only every other day. He is diabetic. I noticed his hygiene in the private area has not been up to par (I have an aide to do his showers) and it is now difficult to pull the foreskin back on his penis because of what appears to be a yeast infection. Can I treat him at home, or what must I do to clear this up?

Doctor's Assistant: Is the condition chronic, or acute?

Acute, although the same thing happened after a month's stay in rehab earlier this year.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He is on oxygen and takes a medicine twice a day in his nebulizer to help with breathing, but the pulmonary doctor cautioned us to rinse his mouth after every use to prevent thrush mouth...could this med be involved orally?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Urology
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/3/2017
Urologist: Dr Josh, Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Physician

Dear customer

This is Dr. Josh. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

The symptoms you have described about your 88 year old husband of having possible yeast infection/tight foreskin of penis is most likely due to a condition called balanitis.It is the inflammation of the skin covering the head (glans) of the penis.Its possible causes are:unhygenic conditions and tight foreskin lead to irritation by smegma,seborrhoeic dermatitis,contact allergy and other generalised skin conditions.

Skin swabs for bacterial or fungal culture might be taken to confirm infection.Urine & blood test may be required.

The medicine his is taking in his nebulizer to help with breathing is not related to this infection.

Following is recommended for him :

· Apply cream containing clotrimazole.It is availaible at counter without prescription.

· Keep the genital area clean & dry .

Simple exposure to air and local cleansing is most often effective.

If still after this,the symptoms persists.then he may need to make an appointment with doctor as prescription oral medications like fluconazole (diflucan) or Itraconazole (sporanox) will then be required accordingly.Usually & most likely,the symptoms gets subside with these treatments and doctor visit is less likely required.

Thank you.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Do you have any other follow up question?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

I am still waiting for your reply.

If you have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

I am online & I am waiting for your reply.

Please do reply.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Just checking in to see how are your husband's symptoms now?

Do you need further assistance?Is there anything else that you would like to know?

I am online & is waiting for your reply.

Please do reply.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Physician