Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I had 1" stone on right kidney and 1/2" stone on left kidney…

Customer Question
I had 1" stone on...
I had 1" stone on right kidney and 1/2" stone on left kidney blasted at same time a week ago. Only had stent put on one side. I've been in the er twice since the procedure. First time for major pain on side with no stent. Then went back with a major pain and swollen kidney (hydronephrosis ) on side with stent. Hydronephrosis wasn't diagnosed with a CAT scan it's just because I'm so skinny and I've had so many kidney problems I know what it feels like when my kidneys swole. My urologist said he's only seen one stent get plugged in his 20 years of doing this I told him I think it had a piece of Flesh in it. When I was in the hospital for 2 days on Dilaudid one of the nights my IV was kinked and I wasn't getting any fluids so I got dehydrated and it started to affect my kidney. Long story short I've been through hell and back. I guess my question is I don't want to take any more narcotics I have hydromorphone hydrocodone and oxycodones. I've been nauseous can't hardly eat I finally had a bowel movement this morning. The Dilaudid makes me nauseous crazy dreams I just went off all of this stuff. I'm having a little bit of pain on my left so I took a hydrocodone I guess my question is is hydrocodone a lot more forgiving than oxymorphone and should have put a stent on both sides
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Urology
9/24/2017
Urologist: DrRussMd, Board certified internist replied 10 months ago
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board certified internist

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

All narcotics can cause the same side effects.

Hydrocodone is not as strong as ocymorphone and might be better tolerated.

If a tone is in the kidney itself, it does not cause problems with pain, typically.

As to whether you should have another stent, your urologist does not think so.

You should get a second opinion from another urologist as well.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually]. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.

Sorry its so early, stone fragment in ureter from procedure woke me up. Its on the side with no stent of coarse. I'm curious if you've ever done stone blasting on both kidneys at once and would you leave one stent out? Do yo do surgeries?

It would not make sense if there were loose stones, and more loose stones coming, to leave a stent out.

I suggest you talk with your surgeon, and see another surgeon in person for an opinion.

There is no way for us to assess your situation, we answer specific questions only. The stent is a judgement call dependent upon the situation.

I did not see a rating on my last answers, was there a problem?

You can rate a 5 and follow up with another question or two.

Thanks.