Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

I am 64 years old, my problem is that I have to get up 2-3

My name is***** am 64...
My name is***** am 64 years old, my problem is that I have to get up 2-3 times a night to pee, usually it is 2 times a night. It is when I am on my back, I want to pee. Because of this I am not getting a good nights sleep. Is this normal and if not is there anything I can do to stop this?
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2017
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General Practice

Hello Rich I'm Dr Chip

How long has this been going on?

At least the past 6 months.

Rich this sounds like the classic problem with benign prostatic hypertrophy and men of your age tend to have enlarged prostates

For now you could try over the counter saw palmetto which might shrink your prostate a bit and ease the problem

But you should have your doctor check out your prostate and there are prescription medications like Flomax for this problem

Please let me know if you need any more information

If it is that, how come I only pee a lot during the night, I pee normally during the day?

Most times it begins just with the nighttime problem

I had a physical the beginning of this year and my prostate was checked and it was normal by my primary doctor.

Checked with a finger up the rectum?

No, just the blood test.

That only checks for prostate cancer--there are no blood tests for BPH--that takes a digital prostate exam

b

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General Practice
Ok, thank you.

My pleasure and call on me anytime

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General Practice