Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General Practice
Experience:  Years of experience with general surgery and urgent care
18722459

I am 64 years old, my problem is that I have to get up 2-3

My name is***** am 64 years old, my problem is that I have to get up 2-3 times a night to pee, usually it is 2 times a night. It is when I am on my back, I want to pee. Because of this I am not getting a good nights sleep. Is this normal and if not is there anything I can do to stop this?

Hello Rich I'm Dr Chip

How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
At least the past 6 months.

Rich this sounds like the classic problem with benign prostatic hypertrophy and men of your age tend to have enlarged prostates

For now you could try over the counter saw palmetto which might shrink your prostate a bit and ease the problem

But you should have your doctor check out your prostate and there are prescription medications like Flomax for this problem

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
If it is that, how come I only pee a lot during the night, I pee normally during the day?

Most times it begins just with the nighttime problem

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I had a physical the beginning of this year and my prostate was checked and it was normal by my primary doctor.

Checked with a finger up the rectum?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
No, just the blood test.

That only checks for prostate cancer--there are no blood tests for BPH--that takes a digital prostate exam

b

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Ok, thank you.

My pleasure and call on me anytime