Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

My husband saw a uroligst ths morning because he wasnt

Customer Question
My husband saw a...

My husband saw a uroligst ths morning because he wasnt urinating. The Dr.put on a catherter. The catherter is filled with a bright red liquid. Is this blood and is it serious

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?

He hasnt urinated in 2 days so the doctor put on a catheter on .

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No Im just concerned why is the bag full of blood and not urine

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Urology
9/20/2017
Urologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist replied 8 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

There are few causes, which can cause this blood in bag;

1) There was injury during catheterization. The prostate enlargement may be the reason of inability to void.

2) There was a stone in the bladder which caused the bleeding and obstruction.

3) A bladder tumor can also cause the bleeding and obstruction.

4) A prostate congestion may also cause bleeding.

He would need an ultrasound and a cystoscopy for the evaluation. A urine exam and culture should also be done.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist