Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Is diverticulitis less likely for someone whose CBC is

Customer Question
normal, white blood cells in...
Is diverticulitis less likely for someone whose CBC is normal, white blood cells in range, no fever and no other symptom other than lower left stomach pain?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Urology
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/20/2017
Urologist: Dr Josh, Physician replied 8 months ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Physician

Hello!

My name is***** to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks

Dear,

Thanks for staying Online.

Well, the symptoms associated with Diverticulitis are-

-Pain which usually starts below your belly button, and moves to the lower left-hand side of your abdomen.

-A high temperature (fever) of 38C (100.4F) or above

-feeling of being tired and unwell

-nausea and vomiting.

Diverticulitis comes with a number of other symptoms, including fever, abdominal tenderness constipation, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and a change in bowel movement frequency.

I would make clear that For mild cases of diverticulitis, people usually only need to change what they eat and possibly take antibiotics for the diverticulum infection.

WBC levels would have been raised from this infection. So, there should be definately changes in CBC levels.

In your case, such symptoms and with normal blood count, This doesn't relate with Diverticulitis.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Can IBS describe my lower left stomach pain/pressure then? I just had the blood work drawn Sunday night and WBCs came back 8.0

In your case, most likely such symptoms are related with, IBS.

Exact cause is still not known, but few determining factors can be considered such as-
-Bacterial infection or irritation of the stomach and intestines caused by bacteria. This condition may start all of a sudden in few days. A stool culture test would be diagnostic.
-Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)
-Slow motility
-Food sensitivity.

You can treat it with healthy and balanced diet along with medications.
You need to take Psyllium, it is a natural vegetable fiber.
Sometime milk products worsen the condition, if you have any symptoms from them, then avoid it.
Also stress aggravate it, so practice yoga and meditation. Also you need to go for breathing exercises, for relaxation. Avoid anxiety and stress.

You should avoid processed foods. These may contain 'resistant starch' which is difficult for your body to digest.You should Cut down on foods rich in insoluble fiber, such as wholemeal bread, wholegrain rice and cereals containing bran.You should avoid foods such as beans, cabbage, or uncooked cauliflower or broccoli.

You need to be prescribed with Antispasmodic medicines such as mebeverine hydrochloride (eg Colofac)alverine citrate.
The prescription medications approved for the treatment of IBS are: Alosetron (Lotronex),Lubiprostone (Amitiza).

Medications that affect certain activities of the autonomic nervous system (anticholinergics)are very effective in relieving the abdominal pain or stomach ache.

Also Getting regular, vigorous exercises, will make bowel movements regular.Sometimes doctor prescribe - Anti anxiety or anti -depressants drugs,

These can also cure the symptoms.
Proper dietary control should be done.

Best bet it - get your diet schedule managed from dietitian.

I suggest you to consult your doctor, discuss this issue and get appropriate management.

God bless you and take care.

Don’t forget to leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

May i help you further?

Do you need more help?

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear,

Thanks for staying Online.

Most likely, such symptoms are related with IBS.

You can follow lifestyle and dietary modifications, as advised in previous post.

This is not a serious issue and usually with such measures, you would get good results.

Keep yourself relaxed and use measures, as discussed.

God bless you and take care.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Physician