Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

The urine the doctor sent off came back as no infection So…

The urine the doctor sent...
The urine the doctor sent off came back as no infectionSo why when she did a urine test there blood and white cells that showed up?This has got me worried
9/17/2017
Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine

That could be an indication of renal stones. Also a urine culture can be negative even when you have an infection. Many a time a culture may not pick up on the infection, in those situations when we have a suspicion of an infection we still treat with antibiotics.

How would they know if I have renal stones ?This has me worried

That would need a Ct scan, however as is the case with 99% renal stones they would be passed out on their own.

Yes still nothing to worry about at the moment. Are your symptoms improving?

Then things seem to be improving, the gas is reducing, the discomfort is improving. I think things are getting better and it has been just 2 days since the antibiotics were started.

don't seem to be as much gas as there once was .I still have slight dull achey pain on my left side.
And I have been having bowel movement about 3/4 times a day but are solid .I do feel the need to pee moreAnd I have slight dull pain in lower back
I keep getting urine infections , in the last month I have had about 4/5And every time I finish the antibiotics with in a week it comes back .But that when they send my urine off it comes back nothing is wrong .The doctors has sent me to have a ultrasound because of this on the 25th September
And day before I go on holiday
What could it beI'm so scared and worried
I have been crying
It can be a bladder infection or you could have a fungal infection, in situations where you are having repeated episodes and it is not responding to medications and the cultures are normal. Then you should be investigated for fungal infections and you should be started in a prolonged course if antibiotics. An ultrasound is a good option as would be a CT scan of the abdomen. I think this is not anything like cancer which is what you are worried about just a difficult to treat infection.
Also when I go pee it is bubble
Scared I could have kidney disease

An infection can cause loss of proteins which in turn can cause the bubbling in the urine. Bubbling by itself does not indicate that it is kidney disease, if the urine analysis showed markedly increased proteins in the urine then it would be considered but low levels of proteins can occur in infections as well.

You dont need to be scared, i have managed hundreds if not thousands of patients with symptoms like yourself, in 99% of the cases all of these symptoms usually indicate a benign cause and NOT serious kidney diseases or any other problem. It is only rarely that these symptoms indicate something serious.

Try to relax and let the medications start working.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Do you think I could have Interstitial Cystitis ?

I would consider intersititial cystitis IF there is persistent pain in the lower abdomen, with presence of WBCs in the urine repeatedly without any positive cultures AND the symptoms would not improve even with antibiotics. This means that they would NOT disappear and then reappear, instead they would be persistent. In your case the symptoms improve with antibiotics and then reappear indicating an infection.

Sorry for the late response but i was offline.

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine
I have pcos
About a couple of months ago I had to have a test to make sure my tubes are not blocked that test came back normal.
A couple of weeks after that I started to get pain in my left side near where my ovary is and the pain goes into my back the pain is a sharp dull achey pain, and than I get bad wind and constipation. I only get all this after I have had my period.
And I went to see my doctor and she said my cervix is imflammed so she thought I had a std so she took a swab , all that came back normal but she gave my antibiotics anyway . All this is really getting to me and I’m really worried incase I have cancer I keep crying and bad anxiety please help meCould you tell me what it could be ?
I’m so scared it’s cancer

The pain which you are describing can be due to the PCOS itself, cysts in the ovary can lead to pain of this sort especially during your period. Secondly this pain can occur even when you did not have it in the past, that is the nature of PCOS that it can sometimes lead to development of pain. Additionallythe inflamed cervix can still be an infection inspite of negative tests, many a time tests dont pick up on the infection and that is why we treat the problem.

This does NOT sound like cancer at all.

Also would you mind opening up a new question as this is a 3 month old thread. we can continue this in the new thread.

Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine