Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I had back surgery 2 months ago. Two weeks later I developed…

Customer Question
I had back surgery...

I had back surgery 2 months ago. Two weeks later I developed pain ,pressure when I urinated. I had 2 rounds of antibiotics; no relief and was told my specimen showed no infection. Sent to urologist that had seen me 10 years ago and put a catheter bag on for a week to shrink my bladder. Thios helped but he states now that he sees no need for this, my cystiscope looked ok and he gave me Vesicare which has not helped. I am desperate; the pain and pressure are constant. I have become depressed and do not like to leave the house. I have researched this to no avail. I have a very slow stream and even feel I must "push" to get out the last few drops. I feel my bladder is NEVER empty. Please help me. Feeling like peeing every 10 minutes is miserable.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the condition chronic, or acute?

Chronic. But is has never lasted this long without relief.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had my uterus removed because of pressure like this. I also have had diabetis for 9 years but my numbers have always been low and it recently has gone way too high and my Dr doubled my Metformin.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Urology
This is difficult to talk about but the constant pressure feels like it is pushing on my clitoris or maybe it is my urether. I just don't know. It seems to get worse towards the late afternoon thru the night. I get up to pee ever 20-30 minutes with only a small amount each time. It hurts to then sit down because of the pressure and constant feeling to urinate. I do not drink past 8 pm and have woke up and urinated way more than I took in. I also wanted to mention that after my sugery the first thing I noticed when I came to was that I had urinated a lot in the bed and had to have nurse help change my clothes. I have never woke up from any surgery soaking wet like this.
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/16/2017
Urologist: Ross, Urologist replied 9 months ago
Ross
Ross, Urologist

hello ***** a urologist. Its common after back surgery to have some retention of urine and constipation . They are often seen with theses symptoms. Take some Miralax OTC if bowels not moving. You may need to learn to cath yourself till back to normal. Your voiding sounds like overflow voiding

yes you definitely sound lie retention the vesicare could be hurting you not helping.

it may take 6 months sometime to get bladder back especially with the underlying DM. Again bowel function is important empty rectum happy bladder

Do you think that if the Dr put another cath bag on for a week would help?

yes or teach you how to self cath its easier than you think more freedom that way

ratings are appreciated thank you