Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

I've been having a really foul urine smell. It's been going

Customer Question
I've been having a really...
I've been having a really foul urine smell. It's been going on for about a month but I feel fine. I can't figure what it is.
JA: Any pain or burning sensation while urinating? What color is your urine?
Customer: umm, from time to time, there's a some light burning sensation. the color varies, it can light and look healthy but smell really strong. Or can be darker yellow-orange-ish and still produce the same amount of smell
JA: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?
Customer: it's really on and off and it's not terrible. no other discomfort.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: ........i don't think so.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Urology
9/16/2017
Urologist: Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD replied 2 months ago
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

I have a few more questions to ask, is that ok?

how old are you and are you male or female?
have you had any fever or chills?

I'm 26. Female. I haven't had any fever or chills. I've been feeling fine overall. Nothing out of the ordinary in regards ***** ***** and health-wise.

have you seen a doctor for this issue or had a urine test done?

No I haven't yet. Not quite in the financial position to get tests done.

where do you live?

MAdison, wI.

ok, there are two Planned Parenthood clinics in Madison and they also do general health care and typically offer lower costs than regular doctors offices.

you're saying I should just get tested? Like there's really nothing else that you can tell me?

Well, your symptoms of odor and burning could indicate an infection even with having them for a month. However, only way to know for sure is to test a urine sample.

The concern would be if you continue with a low-grade urinary tract infection that it could potential cause some scarring or damage to the kidneys, bladder or the urethra (tube that carries the urine out of the body)

There could also be a low grade vaginal infection that is causing irritation around the urethra and the odor as well.

Would I just put in a request to have them test it? what exactly will they be testing for? How long would I need to wait before I get an update on the test results?

They would probably want you to make an appointment with a doctor, nurse practitioner or physician assistant first. They can do an exam and order urine tests or do swabs to look for other infections if they decide to do a pelvic exam.
They should be able to do the initial urine test in the office. They will probably have to send any vaginal swabs out to the lab, although some clinics have a back office lab with microscope where they can look for certain vaginal infections as well.

Dr. Y.
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist