Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have had on going bladder infections for over a year. I am…

Customer Question
Hi I have had...

Hi I have had on going bladder infections for over a year. I am near the end of 2 weeks of sulfatrim 2 x daily and my blood work/ urine test yesterday show 6-10 WBC in my urine

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

Both blood and urine

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My bladder was tested last july and it seems normal they are testing my kidneys in Dec with an ultrasound. No explanation why I keep getting the infections

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Urology
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/14/2017
Urologist: Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Have they been sending your urine samples to the lab for culture? Is anything growing in them?

There have been many samples that have gone to the lab with a variety of different organisms growing. My GP put me on antibiotics last spring for 8 weeks to see if it would stop them from reoccurring but they keep coming back. This last one I am have now the doctor was certain my kidneys got effected and almost admitted me to the hospital. Yesterdays lab results aren't back completely yet to see if there is an organism growing after 2 weeks of Sulfatrim but I have plus 3 Leukocytes and 6-10 WBC in my urine so far and in my blood test it shows WBC 3.7 and neutrophils 1.6.
I have also had many test with Calcium Oxalate (sp)

Are you on any daily medications? What is your age?

Naproxen
Topiramate
Zoplicone
Rantidine
new one Myrbetrig
I am 55 and have rheumotoid arthritis
I;m still peeing every hour and half to 2 hours during the day and at least 3 times at night.

Have you already seen a urologist? Have you been evaluated by a gynecologist, as well?

no just a urologist. He did some bladder test and found my bladder larger than would expect but otherwise fine. He put me on the Myrbetrig and thought that would settle things but it hasn't made any difference and now I have since had this last new infection where I got really sick.
It feels to me at the end of the 2 weeks of antibiotics tomorrow that it has not taken care of the infection yet
Also my nights sweets are really bad

There are a couple considerations here. One is that you might have interstitial cystitis, a chronic inflammatory condition of the lower bladder that mimics recurrent UTIs but without improvement from antibiotics. It can be treated (usually by a urologist), but may be difficult to manage consistently. The other consideration in the face of recurrent infection is vaginitis, or vaginal dryness after menopause. This can be very subtle but result in tiny cracks forming in the skin around the urethra. Bacteria can hide in these cracks and either climb up into the urethra and bladder, or contaminate urine specimens, complicating the diagnostic picture. This can be effectively treated with estrogen vaginal creams, and is managed by GYN.

Hello. How are you feeling today? Do you have any follow up questions for me?

Let me know if you do and I would be happy to help further.